Road Conditions (Know before you go!)
- CHP Traffic Incident Information Page (Select from top left corner drop down menu for the communications center “Ukiah” to pick up north Lake County) (Select “Golden Gate” to pick up Sonoma and Napa County)
- Lake County Nixle Alerts
- Road closure or road work CalTrans (covers all of California) (Use quick maps on option on far left and check all the boxes on the map for the area you wish to view.)
- Bay Area Road Conditions/ Accidents on 511.org (Doesn’t cover Lake or Napa County very well)
- DOT Current Highway Conditions Enter highway of interest
- Lake County News Apparently Elizabeth Larsen is doing a great job covering the diverse news sources.
- Weather Underground Data and text. 1st Internet weather service.
- National Weather Service Geek version #1 / Geek version #2 (Better for wind forecasts)
- Weather Underground Monthly forecast helps project a little further out
Flood Info = Current
- Tide Forecast Anyone living near a body of water needs to be aware of this
- Flood Forecast California Nevada River Forecast Center
- Lake County Floodplain Status
Flood Info = Historical Data
- Lake County GeoInfoSystem Portal (Parcel Viewer, Parcels Shapefile, Public Lands, Fire Hazard Severity Zones, Slope and Terrain, Voting Precincts, PDF-Shaded Relief)
- FEMA GeoInfoSystem Portal (National Flood Hazard Map)
California is on track to break the record for snowpack accumulation for the past 50 years. Being prepared for potential flooding this year is very important.
According Department of Water Resources about two-thirds California’s annual rainfall occurs between December and March. January and February are historically 2 of the states wettest months. Get ready!
Snowpack usually starts melting around April 1st and provides about 30% of California’s water for the summer and fall as it melts.
The next update by the state will be on February 15, 2017, for conditions ending on January 31, 2017.
DWR’s California Data Exchange Center Web sites show current water conditions at the state’s largest reservoirs and weather stations.
Click this link to return to the main news article
No story is told if there is no lesson. Be informed. Choose wisely.